Sunday, November 23, 2008

OSGi + Spring = ?

It took me a while to get back to my beloved Spring.
Before I start raving about this great framework some intro why I am doing this.
Dependency Injection is one of my most beloved patterns. It removes a lot of boilerplate code from your software if correctly applied.
When we started the Designer project we were looking into spring-osgi but decided to wait for the first final release to incorporate it.
Lookign back I don't know if that was the best way to go. We had to implement our own DI-Service in OSGi. So far it has worked pretty good but with a growing project you want get rif od as many headaches as possible.
One headache is that now almost all aspects of Rifidi are using our custom DI-Service and that means we have to deal with new features (unbelievable, some people really want software to evolve).
It would be great to get replace it with Spring-DM (the Spring OSGi project).
So today is the great day:
I will try to get services injected into an eclipse view.

Things accomplished this morning:
  1. Target platform is up and running (will be up in Rifidi subversion as soon as I am done fighting with it)
  2. Services get deployed to OSGi
  3. Dependencies get injected (right now using xml config files)
Next steps:
  1. Get AOP up and running.
  2. Inject services using annotations
  3. Get a view injected with a service

No comments: