Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Leg, Arm, Head

What would you be willing to lose?
I am sitting here, after weeks of coding with the CommonNavigator framework in eclipse, just to realize that I might have to completely remove it or lose the last tiny shard of sanity left in my head.
Yes, CommonNavigator is awesome, somewhat.
The absolute absence of debugging help in it is just frustrating.
Not knowing what is wrong with your XMl and not getting any help from eclipse is rather frustrating.
By googling a little you will discover pretty soon that I am not the only person who is unable to get actions to show in the places you actually want em to show up.
By now I think I got a pretty good grasp on eclipse and the dreaded toolBar/menuBar-paths.
I even understand how the objectContributions work.
But the vieweContribution stuff is a complete mystery to me.
Seems like as if I will have to read some source code to figure out what I am doing wrong.
Would it really be that hard to provide some help in the logfiles for that?
What about adding just some lines that tell me where actions end up.
Or *ghasp* what about giving me a warning if I declare an invalid path?
So right now I have to come to a decision:
Keep CommonNavigator and all the nice goodies OR
cut it out and do it in a clean RCP-App.
And my frustration will probably lead to the latter one.

No comments: